Spinal manipulation has been used as far back as ancient Greece. Chiropractic treatment evolved from these healing traditions in the late 1800s, growing as people sought a natural alternative to potentially toxic drugs.
For babies and young children, a gentle, natural alternative is even more important, and it’s no surprise that children are among the biggest beneficiaries of chiropractic care and can respond quickly to chiropractic treatment. And while many people think of chiropractic care as limited to simply neck and back treatment, it can improve a child’s overall wellness and provide relief for numerous childhood health concerns.
But spinal adjustments and other forms of chiropractic treatment are much different for babies than adults because of their rapidly developing bodies.
Spinal adjustments, for example, are so gentle, almost like the pressure you’d use when holding an egg. There’s no sudden twisting and clicking.
The Nervous System
The central nervous system consists of the brain, spinal cord, and all the body’s nerves, and processes everything the body does. In babies, the central nervous system also controls their development, and so many childhood health problems can be traced to issues with the central nervous system, usually along the spine.
Chiropractic treatment. including gentle spinal manipulation will repair any imbalances or disturbances in the central nervous system that threatens to interfere with healthy development.
How can Chiropractic Treatment Help?
Chiropractic treatment has been proven to help numerous childhood health problems. Here are some of the most common:
- Birth trauma: Consider the toll on a baby’s body from passing through a space that measures only a few inches. A baby should be examined for any imbalances and interruptions to the central nervous system from birth, including a C-section or birth with the use of forceps or vacuum extraction.
- Ear infections: During the birthing process, vertebrae in the neck can become misaligned, which in turn puts pressure on the Eustachian tubes in the ears where ear infections occur. Chiropractic treatment can relieve the pressure on the tubes by applying gentle pressure to the neck.
- Colic: Birth trauma, even from natural childbirth, can compromise the nervous system, causing the baby to cry for hours on end. Chiropractic treatment has been proven to lessen crying in colicky babies.
- ADHD: Reducing stress on the central nervous system through treatment such as spinal manipulation has been shown to reduce the symptoms of ADHD. It’s also a natural alternative for parents looking for an alternative to the psychotropic drugs that are commonly prescribed.
- Bedwetting: Any interruption in the nervous system in the lower back can prevent the nerve messages that are responsible for bladder control.
- Asthma: Attacks can be reduced with chiropractic treatment by reducing the neurological compromise to the lungs and bronchial tubes.
Growing pains: While most people consider growing pains a natural part of development, the pain can also signal something in the nervous system that is interrupted or out of balance.