Having to visit the dentist every six months may not be the appointment that everyone looks forward to, but it is one of the most important ones to keep. If you have found yourself wondering what the point of having regular dental checkups in Michigan City is, we’ve got something for you to think about.
If you are considering skipping a dental checkup because of cost or another factor like time or dental anxiety, make sure to consider all the risks. What you might end up paying in the long run for not visiting your dentist will likely be much higher, both for your wallet and your peace of mind.
Here are some of the most important reasons why you should see your dentist regularly.
1. Oral Cancer Detection: Oral cancer is an extremely serious disease that manifests itself in various ways. Your dentist is highly trained to recognize these signs and symptoms, and with regular dental checkups in Michigan City every six months, the likelihood of catching oral cancer in time is dramatically higher.
2. Plaque, Tartar, and Cavities: Regular dental cleanings prevent tartar from eroding teeth or creating holes in them, which is how cavities are created. This can all be avoided with regular cleanings that take care of plaque and tartar before it becomes destructive.
3. Gum Disease: Plaque and tartar buildup not only cause tooth decay but can also erode the mouth’s gum tissues. This infection is known as gingivitis and as it progresses, the tissue that attaches gums to the teeth breaks down. Regular dental cleanings are essential in catching and addressing gingivitis before it gets out of hand.
4. Keeping Bad Habits in Check: Some of these habits include chewing ice, biting your nails, clenching your jaw, grinding your teeth, eating particularly sticky or hard sweets, brushing your teeth too hard, drinking coffee and red wine, and of course smoking. When you go for regular dental checkups, your dentist can check for any oral damage caused by these or other habits which you may otherwise not have noticed.
5. Find Problems Under the Surface With X-Rays: A crucial part of a dental checkup in Michigan City every six months is getting your teeth and jaw bone x-rayed. X-ray images allow dental professionals to see what is happening beneath the surfaces of your mouth and can find and diagnose issues that may be invisible to the naked eye.
6. Head, Neck, and Lymph Node Checks: In addition to checking your mouth, gums, and tongue for signs or oral cancer, your dentist will also check your neck, jaw, and lymph nodes, located just below your jawline, for any swelling, lumps, or other abnormalities.
So, Is a Dental Checkup in Michigan City Worth the Effort?
Dentists and dental professionals are not only concerned with fixing teeth. They professionally clean your teeth, ensure your teeth and gums are healthy and check for abnormalities that may otherwise go unnoticed and could be a sign of larger health issues. Dental professionals make sure that your bones are strong, and will help you correct any habits that may be sabotaging your oral health, among other things.
Skipping dental appointments may not seem like a big deal, but oral issues can develop and progress extremely quickly whether or not you notice it. By keeping on top of your dental cleanings and check-ups you’re doing yourself a big favor in the long run.
As you can see, these visits are crucial to your oral and overall health. Don’t put it off – call our office today to schedule your next dental checkup in Michigan City.